If you've ever wondered how to become a technical writer - or even a guest writer - for sites like CSS Tricks or Smashing Magazine, this episode is for you. We're talking with Rachel Andrew about how to submit technical articles, becoming a better writer, and tips for getting articles accepted.
If you work in front-end web development, then you know how quickly the space changes. By attending Web Unleashed, you will get up-to-date on the skills needed to push you ahead in your career, and elevate your personal and professional development. Tickets available now.
Jetpack adds loads of features your self-hosted WordPress site, with the overall theme of bringing the power of WordPress.com servers to your servers. Flip on an image CDN. Flip on site backups. Flip on Markdown. Flip on security scanning. Flip on more powerful search. And so much more.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 00:56 Guest introduction
- 01:45 Did writing help unlock doors?
- 11:30 Any rules of thumb for articles?
- 15:40 Multi-part article pitches
- 19:31 Sponsor: Web Unleashed
- 21:43 Being ok with longer articles
- 23:18 Scannable headlines
- 32:27 Sponsor: Jetpack
- 33:59 What's the difference between a technical writer and a bloggger?
- 36:52 How do measure success on technical writing?
- 48:17 What problems have you solved with the article?
- 59:40 How do I become a technical writer?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.