120: Rapidfire 32
This week it's another RAPID-FIRE!!! Nothing but the best darn question and answer you've ever heard!
Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert
This episode is with just Chris & Dave, ShopTalk Show's hosts. Chris is the co-founder of CodePen and creator of CSS-Tricks, and Dave is lead developer at Paravel.
Time Jump Links
- 8:56 Picture this: Client organization has a CMS and puts all their ‘news’ content in. Monthly they need to generate a paper newsletter… They push ONE BUTTON and a multi-page pdf, at least as beautiful as the site, is generated with all of their news content… Has anyone tried this?
- 17:03 What's the best way to compress a vector graphic from Illustrator for the web? There used to be a SVG option for "Save for Web and Devices" but it's gone in CS6. What SVG specs are best to use?
- 22:43 I'm starting to hear the phrase "Tech Bubble" a lot and it's very disheartening. Do you guys believe we're in a tech bubble? If so, is it we the web developers/designers who have to worry? Or is it more threatening to investors, entrepreneurs, and 30 y/o billionaires?
- 32:30 I'm about to start working at a full time job where the team uses Git. Do you have any advice about workflow or etiquette?
- 39:34 I'm a developer at a mid-sized SaaS company and we have a pretty successful product. Our product has an API and there are several other companies that sell web site integrations & 3rd party plugins to our customers. Our company even receives fees to recommend certain "preferred partners". Do you think it would be unethical or a conflict of interest for me to develop my own premium WordPress plugin on my own time?
- 47:47 I'm currently working in a project and the design calls for use of full-screen image backgrounds, in order to optimize this for mobile devices I'm using media queries to call the appropriate background, it works like a charm, however there is something that bothers me, if I resize the window there's a small bit of time where the webpage has no background while the image get's loaded. Any way around this?
- 51:51 Why aren't box-shadow and text-shadow shorthand properties like background and font? Why don't the properties box-shadow-color, box-shadow-offset, etc. exist?
- 58:09 My question is about Print Stylesheets. Are they still relevant? How do you approach them?