211: Rapidfire 58
It's a RAPIDFire episode - Chris and Dave answer your questions as quickly as they can before the gun goes off. Too many tools, comp sci vs programming, vertical rythym, version controlling WordPress, self-employment, div-itis, and mobile email client performance issues are just some (ok all) of the topics covered.
Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert
This episode is with just Chris & Dave, ShopTalk Show's hosts. Chris is the co-founder of CodePen and creator of CSS-Tricks, and Dave is lead developer at Paravel.
Time Jump Links
- 1:42 What has perplexed me though are the tools out there like Bower, Grunt, Gulp, Yeoman, Browserify. Can you give me a generalization as to where I would put these in my workflow and their purpose?
- 11:08 What are the differences between computer science and programming, and is it important to learn traditional computer science to do web app development?
- 14:50 Have you ever paid attention to vertical rhythm and modular scales when setting type sizes, line height and positioning in your web layouts?
- 22:30 But I'm wondering everybody's method for using git to version control WordPress. Do you prefer to only version control the theme? Entire WP install? Any tips?
- 29:00 What's your advice for any Front-End Developer before becoming self-employed and what was your greatest hurdle becoming a self-employed developer?
- 33:40 What approach would you take if you wanted to vertically center text on top of a responsive full-width hero image?
- 39:10 My question concerns working remotely, specifically some of the challenges faced i.e. should I use a recruiter, contract work, job boards to watch for such work.
- 43:10 I've just started to learn web development, and have a question about the proper use of div tags in an HTML file. Is there such a thing as using too many divs?
- 48:40 Is there a script or server-side tool that I can use to prevent certain desktop-only assets from being downloaded to mobile clients when at lead-time?
- Mean Stack
- NPM Scripts
- Tim Brown - More Perfect Typography - talk from 2010
- TGM WordPress plugin activiation
- WP Migrate DB Pro
- Southwest Heart
- Automattic Jobs / Github Jobs / Invision Jobs
- CODE GENIUS - Cascading Sh*t Show by Jacob Thornton
- CodePen Radio: How Swag Gets to Your Door
- Shoptalk Show Shop