This week we were joined by Zoe Gillenwater who we like to think of as one of the mothers of responsive design, in that she was talking and writing books about responsible fluid layouts for quite a long time. Add some media queries and you have what is essentially modern day responsive design.
- Congrats on Keith Wyland, the first winner for the HTML and CSS Book Giveaway. We have two more books and we'll give away one per week. Record an audio question to enter.
- We have five copies of ProCSSor to give away. We'll give away two this week. Any tweet that mentions @shoptalkshow and #procssor will be entered to win.
Time Jump Links
- Conferences: BarCamp Tour, InControl, LessConf, SXSW
- Wufoo Demo, Wufoo Spanish
- Are print stylesheets still important? How we approach them, some tips, and speculation on how their usage might be tracked.
- CSS formatting (mentioned: Jeff Starr's Obsessive CSS Formatting)
- The new spec for CSS variables and how they stack up to LESS/SASS
- Icon fonts like Pictos, performance concerns, and accessibility concerns.
- Background images and fluid width layout. Example of background-size, jQuery BackStretch
- Strategies for approaching CSS transitions/animations
- Are we still using conditional stylesheets? Boilerplate html classes
- Why is there no shorthand for the different text properties?