Stacy Kvernmo, Senior UX Designer at Collegis Education, is on the show to help us answer questions about lazy loading, fine-tuning WordPress' dashboard, starter themes for WordPress, ways to work more efficiently, and how to handle tough work situations while trying to build websites.
Time Jump Links
- 27:00 I work in a shop where widows and orphans are despised. I can dig it. It looks a little better to have a few more words wrap to the next line. Generally in this case I am asked to code a line break for mobile so I will put in a br with media query rules applied.
- 31:10 What are some lazy loading best practices?
- 36:08 Do you have tried and true plugins or different strategies for fine-tuning the WordPress dashboard?
- 43:17 I am looking for a new starting point to build my sites on. I think I am not skilled enough to roll my own theme and build everything from the ground up. I have use roots.io in the past, but this has grown to something that I don’t understand anymore. I know there are a few frameworks out there, but what do you guys recommend?
- 51:20 I often find myself fussing over small design details, refactoring code (to do things the "right" way), or just spending too long trying to figure something out. Do you have any tips for working more effectively and efficiently?
- 56:50 I try to teach and explain why certain designs will not work on the web, but if it doesn’t look exactly the same as on his/her Apple Retina Cinema display on Safari then it’s wrong. It drive me mad that I can’t have a good working relationship and work together to build awesome websites. Can you give any advice from previous experiences on how you would approach this situation?