343: Learning How to Design with Erik Kennedy
Erik Kennedy helps us open up 2019 with a great discussions on learning how to design, picking out better typography, picking colors, how to handle negative design feedback, and more.
Time Jump Links
- 00:47 Guest introduction
- 05:18 Struggling with things yourself before you find the answer
- 06:58 Learning how to pair typefaces
- 10:38 CSS Tricks as an example
- 14:00 Learning to pick colors for projects
- 21:19 Sponsor: Digital Ocean
- 22:08 What's the biggest problem for students learning design?
- 25:28 How do you recognize a design that's gone too far?
- 27:52 Marker 9
- 31:07 How do you get out of a bad design system?
- 35:15 Cheat codes for good design
- 36:08 Sponsor: Porkbun
- 36:54 How to decide on typography
- 40:32 Design cheat code: motif
- 43:25 Getting design feedback
- 49:52 Why not just use Bootstrap?
- 59:20 Closing thoughts from Erik