107: With Joe Casabona
This week we are joined by Joe Casabona. Joe is a web developer, author and teacher at University of Scranton.
Time Jump Links
- 30:21 I want to move from static sites to building wordpress sites. What's the best way to transition?
- 35:10 When I design websites for clients, I almost always work with wordpress. One reason is that wordpress is so widely used. Can you recommend any CMSs that are worth checking out that specifically have a similar widespread use and staying power?
- 40:53 I'm thinking about more seriously getting into freelance work. What would you say are the most important skill sets?
- 45:50 A deployment strategy is pretty much required for something like Ruby on Rails, where you're precompiling assets, restarting servers, etc., but what about wordpress? What do you do about databases, plugins, or version control?
- 55:00 Why has the html email section of the web not been talked about in the web standards? Is this something that I should start evangelizing about fixing or has someone already been heading this fight? What are some free / cheap solutions to check my email code cross platform?