226: Rapidfire 64
HHVM? Is targeting links in new windows ok? Are pixel values ok when setting horizontal values? What's Pattern Lab? What ad networks are good for low traffic sites? These questions and more will be answered on this RAPIDFire edition of ShopTalk Show!
Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert
This episode is with just Chris & Dave, ShopTalk Show's hosts. Chris is the co-founder of CodePen and creator of CSS-Tricks, and Dave is lead developer at Paravel.
Time Jump Links
- 3:40 Is target="_blank" actually good for users? When should we be using target="_blank"? __
- 13:29 How exactly is Pattern Lab supposed to be used? Is it like a living style guide, or is it more like a CMS? Or is it more theme-developer-ish?
- 20:00 What is the best way, before you start working on a website, to organize your layout keeping CSS in mind?
- 24:00 Have you heard of HHVM? Would you consider running it with your current Wordpress setup to improve the performance?
- 33:00 Does responsive web design mean never choosing pixel lengths when formatting horizontally? If no, then when are pixels lengths appropriate?
- 37:57 Do you have any quick and dirty tips for making minor updates to compiled CSS in lieu of setting up a complete development environment for every site?
- 44:01 What approach do you take to browser and device support? Are there any good writeups or resources you could point me to for browser support strategy in the world of responsive design?
- 56:22 Do you have any recommendations for a quality ad network to insert ads on a low traffic site? It seems that all of the quality networks I see are by invitation only (like Fusion Ads).