330: Aaron Gustafson on WASP and PWAs
Aaron Gustafson is here to help us wrap our heads around the web standards project (WaSP), the W3C, and how it all relates to progressive web apps (PWA) and progressive enhancement. We talk about how standards come to be, how a PWA differs from a web view, why a company might choose Electron, and what the future is for PWA sites. Be sure to listen to the end for an internship opportunity with Aaron!
Time Jump Links
- 1:30 Guest intro
- 2:30 Aaron's career history
- 4:30 A brief history of the web standards project, W3C
- 12:00 Are standards folks happy being pushed by bigger companies?
- 14:00 Sponsored by NativeScript
- 15:29 Progressive web apps (PWA) and accessibility.
- 21:50 How a PWA differs from a web view.
- 26:05 Why Slack might be offering an electron app
- 30:00 What about tinkering with service workers?
- 38:10 Who writes service workers?
- 42:20 Sponsored by Digital Ocean
- 43:30 Are we going to end up with PWA sites that nobody knows how to update or fix?
- 46:15 What is progressive enhancement?
- 1:01:10 Internships opportunities with Aaron Gustafson