309: Deep Dive on D3.js with Ben Clinkinbeard and Elijah Meeks
Ben Clinkinbeard and Elijah Meeks stop by ShopTalk Show to talk about data visualization, D3, and how to get started leveling up your data viz game.
Time Jump Links
- 0:32 Guest introductions
- 6:00 What is D3 and why is it so popular?
- 10:30 Is it low enough level that you need a lot of tutorials or training?
- 14:15 Is there danger in analyzing data wrong?
- 16:05 Swear jar as a data visualization challenge
- 19:20 Sponsored by FullStory
- 21:30 How do you match data to charts?
- 25:30 The business case for data visualization
- 30:40 Is data journalism that's a growing field?
- 33:16 Sponsored by Porkbun
- 34:30 What about the D3 API?
- 41:00 Why isn't D3 as hard as we think it is?
- 46:00 Do you have to tell D3 you need a rect?
- 51:00 Almost all apps are incorporating data visualization.
- 55:10 Is there any reason to avoid it?
- 59:00 There's room for cross pollination among disciplines
- 1:04:02 Is there data to play with to practice with D3?