This week we have a special RAPIDFIRE episode for you! We’re gonna answer as many of your questions as possible, as best as we can (in three minutes or less)! We talked about (roughly in order):
Time Jump Links
- 6:54 SCSS feels complicated, and LESS seems to be enough for me. Why SCSS and not LESS?
- 10:31 Any way to avoid using PNG fallbacks for SVG images?
- 13:40 What do you think about the List Apart re-design and the drastic navigation change?
- 18:50 I’m getting tons of spam comments on my WordPress sites. Can you recommend third party comment systems like Discus?
- 24:15 How can I convert long-hand CSS into short-hand CSS and minify the code?
- 27:18 How much of a difference do the servers have on website response time?
- 31:10 I’m a 16 year old designer/dev, is college worth the money?
- 34:34 Do you have a rule of thumb for using base64 and data URI images in your CSS?
- 37:00 What do you think about HTML5 Video?
- 42:15 What plugins do you use for common UI elements?
- 45:40 What are your thoughts about social media icons? Can I use my own custom icons?
- 48:17 How do you decide which tool to use to make a background? Should I use Photoshop, or CSS instead?
- 52:12 Is there a way to have a fluid width pseudo element image?
- 53:47 What do you think about having a video playing in the background of my site (in terms of UX)?