249: News Publishing
Our guest is Rebekah Monson of Whereby.Us - a company that creates media and technology products that help people connect and engage in their cities. Is using WordPress Multisite a good idea? How can a small team manage editorial, tech, and community issues efficiently? Is there any profitability in local media?
Time Jump Links
- 3:30 Introduction to Rebekah
- 5:50 Introduction to Whereby
- 10:50 Newsletter first approach for The New Tropic
- 12:30 Using Mailchimp and designing the template for client
- 14:50 Using WordPress for a media site
- 16:02 Local news on the website
- 17:50 Profitability in local media?
- 19:51 Wastelands of Google Ads on local sites
- 22:25 Replicating success and expanding and using WordPress Multisite
- 32:50 Recirculating old content in the midst of new content
- 36:20 Pulling together different taxonomies
- 37:55 Creating a greatest hits package of your content
- 40:35 The secret to using WordPress categories well.
- 46:02 Building a guide that can be resold or advertised with.
- 48:55 The different ways sites show you related posts.
- 53:30 How to balance editorial, tech, and community on a business?
- 59:20 Building quick, dumb things and try to make them better