218: RAPIDFIRE 60
RAPIDFIRE pew pew! We follow up on vertical rhythm with Tim Brown, talk data storage options on the web, charging for refactoring, A/B testing, and when to get a lawyer involved.
Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert
This episode is with just Chris & Dave, ShopTalk Show's hosts. Chris is the co-founder of CodePen and creator of CSS-Tricks, and Dave is lead developer at Paravel.
Time Jump Links
- 18:20 I was wondering what your specific thoughts were on MongoDB.
- 29:40 We've recently embarked on a department restructure, but the problem is we can't settle on a name that reflects what our team offers, or whether we should even remain one department. Do you have any experience with this type of challenge, or any thoughts on how we can manage it as strategically as possible?
- 36:00 My question is when to use flex box vs the new specification CSS grid layout?
- 39:20 Say you spent 20 hours doing much needed refactoring — How do you prevent your client from having a heart attack after presenting so many hours of no visible results? Do you educate them about technical debt and charge them in full, or do you subtract an arbitrary amount of hours?
- 43:00 How do you guys deal with compiled files in Git within a team setting? Any articles, links, tutorials you have came across?
- 49:40 I would love to hear your experiences or thoughts on the topic of A/B testing and Multi Variant Testing. Have either of you done site opt tests?