244: Rapidfire 80
What's the difference between a site that's straight up files vs WordPress? What's CSP and why does it matter? Does MySQL matter? Understanding the benefits of HTTP2. And how can you clean up a project you're taking over?
Chris Coyier and Dave Rupert
This episode is with just Chris & Dave, ShopTalk Show's hosts. Chris is the co-founder of CodePen and creator of CSS-Tricks, and Dave is lead developer at Paravel.
Time Jump Links
- 13:18 Recently my company assigned me a new project in which i have to take a copy of older project. I find it really difficult to work on this project. If I make one change, layout breaks somewhere else. Is there a way I can make my life easier without resigning?
- 23:30 When you guys make websites, do you host a set of pure code files or do you use WordPress, and if you use WordPress how do you go about learning it?
- 33:30 So on a recent episode you touched on using Mozilla's Observatory project to scan your site's front-end for security issues. The first item on Observatory's report card was the Content Security Policy. I'd love to get a passing grade on these item, but I don't see a fast path to get there without serious reconsideration of my theme and plugins.
- 42:30 Am I the only one who thinks despite H2 being on the horizon, nothing should change in terms of workflow? Have I misunderstood a fundamental aspect of H2? What do you guys think?
- 51:28 What's the best way to call large CSS or JS libraries like Twitter Bootstrap on your page?
- 54:45 Is MySQL being phased out?