033: With Alex King
This week we were joined by long time WordPress contributor and entrepreneur Alex King. Alex has been kicking ass on WordPress for longer than we've known it was a thing. He is now the proprietor of Crowd Favorite which does large scale client work and creates find products such as RAMP and Carrington Build. We talk about (roughly in order):
Time Jump Links
- 7:30 “The Flowing Standard”
- 11:40 How do you keep a WordPress database in sync between local development and the live server?
- 20:58 For someone just getting started with WordPress and wants to run a business around it, what should you focus on, what should your goals be, and how do you stay motivated?
- 35:52 What is the difference between WP_Query and query_posts?
- 42:07 Do you ever give clients multiple environments of a site (e.g. staging and production)?
- 46:25 Now that RAMP is a thing, is it shifting the attitude or creating more interesting around WordPress in enterprise / large companies?
- 50:58 How do you get started theming a WordPress site? Are there starter themes?
- 56:24 What is our take on the Akisment plugin for WordPress (since it costs money)?
- 58:42 Is it OK to hide page/post titles in WordPress? Isn’t that bad SEO?