This week we were joined by long time WordPress contributor and entrepreneur Alex King. Alex has been kicking ass on WordPress for longer than we've known it was a thing. He is now the proprietor of Crowd Favorite which does large scale client work and creates find products such as RAMP and Carrington Build. We talk about (roughly in order):
Time Jump Links
- 7:30 “The Flowing Standard”
- 11:40 How do you keep a WordPress database in sync between local development and the live server?
- 20:58 For someone just getting started with WordPress and wants to run a business around it, what should you focus on, what should your goals be, and how do you stay motivated?
- 35:52 What is the difference between WP_Query and query_posts?
- 42:07 Do you ever give clients multiple environments of a site (e.g. staging and production)?
- 46:25 Now that RAMP is a thing, is it shifting the attitude or creating more interesting around WordPress in enterprise / large companies?
- 50:58 How do you get started theming a WordPress site? Are there starter themes?
- 56:24 What is our take on the Akisment plugin for WordPress (since it costs money)?
- 58:42 Is it OK to hide page/post titles in WordPress? Isn’t that bad SEO?