Laurie Voss is the co-founder and Chief Data Officer of npm and he stopped by the show to talk a bit about npm's history, some of the issues it faces now, as well as what's in store for the web in 2019.
This episode of ShopTalk brought to you by something really cool. It’s an alternative to .com, it is the .design domain name. So if you’re a designer and you’ve thought of a sweet name for your website and it isn’t available under .com, check out .design. Chances are the domain name you want is waiting for you. Head to porkbun.com and use the coupon code “SHOPTALK” on the checkout page to get your free .design domain name for your website.
Jetpack adds loads of features your self-hosted WordPress site, with the overall theme of bringing the power of WordPress.com servers to your servers. Flip on an image CDN. Flip on site backups. Flip on Markdown. Flip on security scanning. Flip on more powerful search. And so much more.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 01:05 Guest introduction
- 03:19 Early days of npm
- 06:31 Running an audit every time you install or update
- 08:11 How to best communicate with millions of users
- 11:07 Who's responsible for security issues?
- 16:31 What are the top downloaded packages?
- 17:17 Sponsor: .Design
- 18:05 Report on npm usage
- 21:24 What's the new hotness this year?
- 26:32 Whatever is easiest, tends to win.
- 31:40 Why couldn't npm manage PHP?
- 34:14 How do you define a good or bad node package?
- 37:26 How could you surface web ready packages?
- 39:42 Sponsor: Jetpack
- 41:07 What is the Yarn / npm relationship?
- 50:38 Where do you see things going?
- 00:59 How to follow Laurie Voss online
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.