Erik Kennedy helps us open up 2019 with a great discussions on learning how to design, picking out better typography, picking colors, how to handle negative design feedback, and more.
DigitalOcean offers the simplest, most developer-friendly cloud platform. It’s optimized to make managing and scaling apps easy with an intuitive API, multiple storage options, integrated firewalls, load balancers and more. From predictable pricing to flexible configurations to world-class customer support, you’ll get access to all the infrastructure services you need to grow. Plus - DigitalOcean’s community provides over 2,000 cloud-agnostic tutorials to help you stay up to date the latest open source software, languages, and frameworks.
Get started on DigitalOcean for free with a free $100 credit at do.co/shoptalk
This episode of ShopTalk brought to you by something really cool. It’s an alternative to .com, it is the .design domain name. So if you’re a designer and you’ve thought of a sweet name for your website and it isn’t available under .com, check out .design. Chances are the domain name you want is waiting for you. Head to porkbun.com and use the coupon code “SHOPTALK” on the checkout page to get your free .design domain name for your website.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 00:47 Guest introduction
- 05:18 Struggling with things yourself before you find the answer
- 06:58 Learning how to pair typefaces
- 10:38 CSS Tricks as an example
- 14:00 Learning to pick colors for projects
- 21:19 Sponsor: Digital Ocean
- 22:08 What's the biggest problem for students learning design?
- 25:28 How do you recognize a design that's gone too far?
- 27:52 Marker 9
- 31:07 How do you get out of a bad design system?
- 35:15 Cheat codes for good design
- 36:08 Sponsor: Porkbun
- 36:54 How to decide on typography
- 40:32 Design cheat code: motif
- 43:25 Getting design feedback
- 49:52 Why not just use Bootstrap?
- 59:20 Closing thoughts from Erik
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.