Followupisode - we're checking in on the ShopTalk Show mailbag to get your thoughts on previous discussions as well as your questions on topics like key portfolio elements, HTML5 boilerplate, critical CSS issues, and more.
Why make payment integration more difficult than it has to be? Braintree’s powerful full stack payment platform allows you to accept nearly any type of payment from any device with just one integration.
It’s flexible to your system’s needs and supports most programming languages. So whether you’re using Java, Ruby, or Python, you’ll always have a range of server-side and client-side SDKs available.
Braintree makes payments, and your job, a whole lot easier.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 2:50 Two programs that helped me with the transition a bunch was Hyperdock and Hyperswitcher.
- 3:50 I want the focus to be on my code, not what I look like, and I figured a pixel version of me would be better until we teach all our sons that it's rude to just comment on someone's appearance.
- 12:05 Old Man Paulie: I'm here to say that there is web development life after 50! even if all this gulping and grunting makes you tired and you need an additional nap during the day (just kidding).
- 15:07 I just listened to #229 and heard your discussion about people in their 30s or older who have made the move to development. For anyone considering this move, I say go for it! I think the only thing that matters is whether or not you’re any good at it.
- 17:04 Updates on HHVM and HipHop Virtual Machine and debugging code in PHP.
- 24:15 If you could recommend one key piece for a portfolio, what would it be?
- 33:20 Is the HTML5 boilerplate still considered the gold standard? Are there any other alternatives you've been satisfied with? And like using CSS pre-processors, is there an opportunity to level up my HTML architectural sensibilities that I might be missing?
- 41:02 With regards to critical CSS, how should I go about a website that has hundreds of different routes, like article-based content, or content that is generated by the user? Are you using critical-css just for the landing page and then just optimize for the smallest viewport?
- 57:20 How do you load polyfills conditionally?
- 1:03:02 In the era of Http/2 we shouldn't concentrate images into sprites and shouldn't concatenate scripts and style files as they will be loaded faster with parallel Http/2 connection. What do you think? Will new protocol change how we work?