We talked about (roughly in order):
Q & A:
- 15:48 What is the best way for someone to pursue a similar career at Google or elsewhere?
- 19:44 At what point you make the trade-off between additional bytes of file-size vs. an extra HTTP request. Basically, at what point does the extra HTTP request become worthwhile? 5kb, 10kb, 50kb?
- 50:55 As a front and back end developer I often find myself Googling pretty much anything from a CSS to PHP. For example, today I searched for “SASS Parent Selectors” and “Equal height columns in CSS.” I often think that I’m just good at searching the web and not so much at development, am I overreacting or do other developers run into this situation?
- 53:42 Can you explain what “The tiniest yet most powerful JS utility ever” is all about?
- 56:12 The NYTimes is describing some of the technology they used for their re-design. Including a paragraph about responsiveness and breakpoints called ‘A smarter layout’.
- 18:00 One Month – One Month is an online video learning platform with a simple premise: What if you could learn anything in One Month?
One Month students learn to code by building real websites and apps, growth hacking their businesses and websites, and building payment systems and security solutions.
One Month’s courses are the easiest way to learn new tech skills including: Ruby on Rails, Python, HTML & CSS, iOS Development with Swift, Content Marketing, Growth Hacking, and More!
Enroll now @ onemonth.com/shoptalk and get 25% OFF your first month.
- 44:17 E4H – Front End Summit – As the web changes for the better, so do our tools. While keeping on top of industry changes is part of the job, fighting our tools that can help us do our job faster and better shouldn’t be. In this special FrontEnd Summit, we deep dive into tools–some common like text editors and some relatively new to the scene like Grunt and Sketch–to see how they can help stay on top of cutting edge.
Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web’s most notable experts in for an all-new, one-day only online conference, the FrontEnd Summit 2015! Bring the experts to your desktop June 2nd from 9AM to 4PM (CT).
Purchase your tickets now and get 20% off by using coupon code SHOPTALK!
- Addy Osmani
- Follow Andy on Twitter
- Todo MVC
- DevTools: State Of The Union 2015 by Addy Osmani
- Authoring Critical Above-the-Fold CSS
- MEAN Stack
- The tiniest yet most powerful JS utility ever
- 140 Bytes
- The Technology Behind the NYTimes.com Redesign
- JSJabber Podcast: New York Times
- Responsive Web Design Podcast: Vox Media
Looking for a job? Check out the Shoptalk Job Board!
Do you think Shoptalk is the best podcast on the internet? Leave us a review in iTunes, it helps other people find us!
Also, you might like Chris’ other podcast, CodePen Radio. It’s good stuff.