This week we were joined by Ian Feather. Ian is the Client Side Technical Lead at Lonely Planet.
Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web's most notable experts in for an all-new, one-day only online conference, the Sass Summit 2014! Bring the experts to your desktop November 6th from 9AM to 4PM (CT). Join us for a day of Sass experts discussing the state of Sass and deep diving the features that make our workflow easier: from building style guides, coding complex RWD layouts, and much more.
he easiest way to sync Wordpress databases between local and live sites. Copy your database from one WordPress install to another with one click in your dashboard.
- Stop wasting time on migrations
- Eliminate the pain that is migrating a WordPress *database
- Work less, bill the same, increasing your effective hourly rate
- No more fiddling with SQL files
- Head over to the WP Migrate DB Pro website to learn more!
Interested in sponsoring?
- 28:26 How do I create CSS shapes for my website?
- 32:40 I noticed that Lonely Planet uses SVG icons; but they appear to be base64 encoded. How is that set up in the CSS, and what happens when they need to edit/add icons?
- 35:28 How do you guys deal with what I call project shame? Basically, no matter how good the end product is, I always end up finding the imperfect parts to hate, resulting in my career being a never-ending flurry of project shame. Does that happen with you guys too, or should I go see a therapist?
- 42:30 I'm wondering why a lot of people are choosing Bower components over using a cached version from a Google/Cloudflare hosted CDN? Isn't the latter way faster most of the time?
- 50:16 I work in an environment where the JS architecture I write isn't really understood by the majority of my coworkers. Should I continue writing classical JS in this environment? Or should I start writing functional JS so that my coworkers are more likely to understand my code?
- 54:00 Do you tend to create SVGs by hand (typing the points for lines and what not) or do you simply export SVGs from Illustrator?
- 57:16 Is building your own blog a rite of passage for a young web developer trying to level up, or is it a colossal waste of time?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.