Ben Clinkinbeard and Elijah Meeks stop by ShopTalk Show to talk about data visualization, D3, and how to get started leveling up your data viz game.
- The customer’s browser and OS information, freeing you from having to ask more questions before digging in
- Their path through the site, showing you the precise course of events that led to the issue
- The exact state of the code at the time the bug happened, so you can look under the hood and see what broke down
Give it a try with a free 30-day trial (no CC required) at fullstory.com/shoptalk.
This episode of ShopTalk brought to you by something really cool. It’s an alternative to .com, it is the .design domain name. So if you’re a designer and you’ve thought of a sweet name for your website and it isn’t available under .com, check out .design. Chances are the domain name you want is waiting for you. Head to porkbun.com and use the coupon code “SHOPTALK” on the checkout page to get your free .design domain name for your website.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 0:32 Guest introductions
- 6:00 What is D3 and why is it so popular?
- 10:30 Is it low enough level that you need a lot of tutorials or training?
- 14:15 Is there danger in analyzing data wrong?
- 16:05 Swear jar as a data visualization challenge
- 19:20 Sponsored by FullStory
- 21:30 How do you match data to charts?
- 25:30 The business case for data visualization
- 30:40 Is data journalism that's a growing field?
- 33:16 Sponsored by Porkbun
- 34:30 What about the D3 API?
- 41:00 Why isn't D3 as hard as we think it is?
- 46:00 Do you have to tell D3 you need a rect?
- 51:00 Almost all apps are incorporating data visualization.
- 55:10 Is there any reason to avoid it?
- 59:00 There's room for cross pollination among disciplines
- 1:04:02 Is there data to play with to practice with D3?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.