This week we were joined by Tobias Günther. Tobias is the founder and CEO of Fournova, the makers of Tower - the most powerful Git client for Mac. We take a deep dive into Git and version control.
Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web's most notable experts in for an all-new, one-day only online conference, the Digital Biz Summit 2014! Bring the experts to your desktop August 20th from 9AM to 5PM (CT).
- Dan Mall, Emily Lewis (Digital Biz & The Hiring Process), Carl Smith, Robb Harr (Digital Biz & Cashflow) etc. all going to be there to answer questions, and provide support to freelancers and small biz owners. Use coupon code SHOPTALK for 10% off your ticket!
For years, Media Temple has been the premium web hosting choice of more designers, developers, and creative professionals than any other platform. It’s all managed through their own simple, custom control panel, and backed by Media Temple’s famous 24/7 live support. Virtual Private Server solutions are also available with their DV and DV Developer hosting plans. Also, check out their new managed WordPress hosting which includes 3 WordPress installs with unlimited bandwidth!
- Special discount for ShopTalk listeners, use promo code SHOPTALK for 25% off your first month of web hosting. Go to mediatemple.net and enter your promo code upon signup.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 16:06 I have never used git before as a web developer/designer. Can you explain in more detail about how git works?
- 21:12 When you make a commit in a VCS like Git or Subversion, should the commit message be in the past, present or future tense?
- 24:44 I am part of a very small team prototyping a new app. We are familiar with GitHub, but the enterprise-company we're working for requires us to work in Subversion (SVN). How would you recommend we attack the SVN dilemma?
- 32:32 We have a linux-based server where some of our clients' websites are hosted. Someone thought of the idea of moving the entire website-folder into a Dropbox-folder thus keeping all the websites constantly backed up to the cloud, and at the same time using the Dropbox built-in version history to easily revert back to older versions of images/files or whatever when needed. Any ideas about pros/cons regarding performance and so on?
- 40:06 What license - if any - do you guys use for open source software?
- 45:10 I recently wrote and open-sourced a "framework" of sorts which deploys WordPress projects via Git/GitHub using Capistrano and WP-CLI. Here's the link.
- 52:00 Have you tried using Git as a project management tool? Would you recommend it?
- 57:05 Do you know of an ebook, online resource, or online course directed at Git newbies?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.