This week we were joined by Rachel Andrew, author and purveyor of Perch, a lightweight PHP content management system.
For years, Media Temple’s Grid service has been the web hosting choice of more designers, developers, and creative professionals than any other platform. Use promo code "shoptalk" for 25% off your first month of web hosting.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 10:23 CSS Regions Considered Harmful
- 16:40 Squarespace Logo
- 21:06 Google Webfonts: The Spy Inside
- 26:55 One thing that's not very well known is that Perch actually pre-renders it's PHP into static pages. How does Perch compare to static site generators like Jekyll?
- 35:30 Do you have suggestions or best practices for creating a website search?
- 41:24 I was wondering what ratio of new comers to Perch CMS are new to CMS (in general or migrating from another CMS)?
- 44:00 Is it easier to start coding into static html files, or just start building the template files (includes, etc)?
- 49:49 What are the best books for people who are thinking of starting up a small web shop or agency?
- 50:55 I've been working for a few years now and I'm thinking about hiring some help. How do I go about making sites from a local computer, and start making websites as a team?
- 54:10 If you have a big image carousel or just lots of images, do you ever think about implementing the webp image format in your site or is it really not worth the time?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.