This week we were joined by Karen McGrane. Karen is a mobile content strategist and has a fantastic book called Content Strategy for Mobile.
We talked about (roughly in order):
- 24:08 Front End Architechture Showdown CSS Cargo Cult
- 25:19 Does our Industry have a Drinking Problem?
- 29:34 Scroll Hijacking
Q & A:
- 34:56 Why does no one talk about RWD in the opposite direction, making things bigger for larger screens?
- 40:50 Have you really heard Google say they’ll punish non-mobile-optimized sites?
- 48:04 I work for a small traditional advertising and marketing agency. We are often finding that clients are not fully understanding our project proposals and specs from the wireframes and spec we present. Some approve the wireframes then want to change core functionality or design features after development has started. Any advice on how to handle this?
- 53:00 What is your opinion on websites that use large sliders on the landing page? Do you feel this is a waste of website real estate or a powerful instrument to convey a idea?
- 33:30 Ding.io Time tracking for people running their own show. Built for freelancers & small teams. Ding focuses on the hours you put in and the money you make. Beautiful UI. It’s tool you’ll actually want in your daily workflow. Blazingly fast iPhone app. The easiest way to log hours on the go. Get a 90 day free trial at Ding.io/shoptalk.
- 57:22 Artifact Conference An hour outside Boston. Ethan Marcotte will be doing the keynote, and they have great workshops: Build Responsively by Ben Callahan, Sass for Beginners by Matt Griffen, CSS Animation by Val Head, and Responsive Designer Patterns by Brad Frost. Use “SHOPTALK” for $100 off your ticket. Check it out!
- Karen on Twitter
- Karen’s Website
- Breaking News Website
- “Recommendations for building smartphone-optimized websites” blogpost from Google
- Style Tiles