We've got another RAPID-FIRE for you this week! Pew Pew Pew, Kaboom!
We answer questions about managing SVG files, Ruby on Rails vs PHP, jQuery's new CSS framework, apps we're thankful for, Image Source Set, style guides, and vacations.
Don’t have a lot of time to invest in leveling up your skills? Over two days, you will get inspired by practical, actionable takeaways. Join Dave Rupert, Sara Soueidan, and Chris Coyier in Long Beach, CA aboard the historic Queen Mary for the CSS Dev Conf.
Grab your tickets now!
Interested in sponsoring?
- 1:59 How do you deal with minified SVGs with git? Do you commit the minified SVGs or keep the originals around? Do you put the minified files in a different location (i.e., build directory)? Do you copy the other images (PNGs, JPGs, etc) to that directory as well?
- 9:44 Why are so many web apps build with Ruby on Rails? What are the benefits over a PHP framework like CodeIgniter? What makes you sacrifice the simplicity and performance of PHP?
- 20:13 What do you think about jQuery’s new CSS framework? They seem to have big plans.
- 28:27 What software, app, repo, blog, website, or whatever would you thank the developers / designers for, and why? Maybe your listeners can take 2 minutes to tweet or email to let some lone devs or designers know they’re doing good, and maybe a whole load of people can have a better day today.
- 35:00 I know a lot has been done to get image src set, and I appreciate it. However, I am a bit worried it might have been wasted time. How can I decide what image size to serve when I have no clue about my user’s Internet speed or data plan? Perhaps the best option is to serve the best compromise and give users the option to access a bigger image. Are the good old CSS background image and media queries enough?
- 42:27 What's the best way to deal with SVG icons? Is it best to put them inline or add them within the CSS as background-image url? What's the best way to deal with different changes on hover (such as color changes)?
- 50:21 I’m working on a redesign for an old website. Should I begin by creating a style guide and then using it as a reference for myself or is the style guide born out of my redesign?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.