Aaron Mentele is a developer at Electric Pulp.
We took a deep dive into typography, getting started with freelancing, working with Stephen Colbert, and more.
We talked about (roughly in order):
- 13:11 FCC votes for net neutrality
- 20:41 Russell Heimlich built a site for his daughter using the real-time API from Instagram
Q & A:
- 22:04 I have been looking at the Electric Pulp website and I love the fonts you have used. I am picking fonts for a project in the making and was wondering if there was an efficient way to do this?
- 26:34 What’s your opinion on using inline styles?
- 42:20 Do you know of any resources or places out there where there are people that want a website built by someone who isn’t a pro?
- 47:36 How do you deal with a boss that doesn’t respect his employees’ time and talents?
- 51:20 How should web designers present their portfolio work in an interview? Should they have a print portfolio like traditional designers, or is showing up with a laptop and clicking through your work online acceptable?
- 53:59 I’m a long time developer that recently have started to listen to your show as I’ve grown more and more interested in the front end part of the development I do. My question is: where do you draw the line between front and back-end developer/work?
- 31:12 E4H: Responsive Web Design Summit – Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web’s most notable experts in responsive web design and web performance for an all-new, three-day online conference, the RWD Summit 2015! Bring the experts to your desktop March 10-March 12, 2015 from 9AM to 4PM (CT)
Want to level up your responsive web design skills? This is a great way to start! Use coupon code SHOPTALK for 20% off your ticket!
- 39:15 One Month iOS: One Month iOS is the easiest way to learn iOS Development using Swift. Over the course of 30 days, instructor Alfie Hanssen (Lead Mobile Engineer at Vimeo) will teach you how to build an iPhone app from scratch.
The best part is… if you ever get stuck, One Month has live support! Each week during the course you’ll have access to a live mentor for a 1-on-1 personalized session. And in addition, you have unlimited email access for any questions you have along the way.
Enrollment is typically $499 (includes a live, one-on-one tutor), but if you join now you’ll get a one time discount of 25%, AND as always you’re helping support Shoptalk.
Enroll now @ onemonth.com/shoptalkios!
- Aaron Mentele | Electric Pulp
- Follow Aaron on Twitter
- Photo site for Zadie Heimlich
- Font Pair
- Handpicked Fonts from Google Fonts
- Beautiful Web Type from Hello Happy
- Sophie Sheppard – Using a Pattern Library as a Design Tool
- Hello Duo
Do you think Shoptalk is the best podcast on the internet? Leave us a review in iTunes!
Also, you might like Chris’ other podcast, CodePen Radio. Just saying.