It's time for another RAPIDFIRE! No news, no drama, just lots of question and answer action.
Time Jump Links
- 0:51 How do you prefer ordering your queries within your stylesheet? Is mobile-first really the best strategy here?
- 8:27 Would either of you have any insights as to how to test, target, and develop for the stock “Internet” browser app from Android?
- 12:37 Maybe Autoprefixer will be useful to your podcast listeners?
- 19:45 Is there a pretty CSS only solution to style a file input field? The default is so ugly and annoying.
- 24:00 I have noticed that many theme developers will have the header template that opens a div that is closed in the page template. I find this very frustrating. Is this common for wordpress or is this a bad idea all together?
- 28:12 So I’ve been having a habitual debate between the SEO department at my job, as well with my other developers, which is the usage of h1’s per page. I understand it use to be that we were suppose to use only one h1 per page for SEO purposes, however from my understanding with html5 elements like section and article we can now use multiple h1’s per page. With many conflicting articles out there, and all these SEO ranking tools that contradict one another, what’s the deal here?
- 36:10 I was wondering if you could explain the difference between web designers, front end developers, UI designers, etc.?
- 40:22 A lot of the development I do these days is responsive, but in order to accommodate advertising or Facebook widgets etc I am finding that working with a fixed width sidebar is cleanest. I have been experimenting with display:table-cell, it looked like the perfect solution until I had a page that had a series of short pieces of content that didn’t keep the left hand area full width (example here Is there a way around this? Do I really just need to wait for Flexbox? Any advice would be awesome.
- 43:17 I’ve started working with Rails and the Rails asset pipeline. One thing I don’t like is that Rails does the Sass compiling instead of doing it via command line or with a tool like Codekit. I was wondering if you guys know if there are any benefits to using the pipeline vs just compiling it locally. Finally, what do your Sass file structure look like? Do you have one manifest file with many imports, or multiple files each with their own imports?
- 51:34 Hey guys, I am curious if you guys are familiar with Codekit’s KIT language?