Prepare to have your mind blown as we go virtual — we're joined by Kevin Ngo and Josh Carpenter who work for Mozilla and Google on their respective VR teams to explain the basics of VR as well as how it relates to the web.
An Event Apart is coming to Seattle this April 3-5, 2017! Three days of design, code, and content with speakers like Jen Simmons, Val Head, Una Kravets, Krystal Higgins, and ShopTalk's very own Chris Coyier.
Chris recommends sticking around all three days, so you can watch the premier of his brand new workshop Let’s Build a Website (and Talk About The Job of Front-End Design and Development)
Get your tickets at AnEventApart.com.
CodePen PRO unlocks Collab Mode.
Collab Mode allows more than one person to edit a Pen at the same time. If you've ever used collaborative editing in Google Docs, it's like that! Real-time pair programming at its best, since the two (or more) people can be anywhere in the world!
Every character you type, every line you select, and every setting you change happens immediately on all of your collaborators screens. And likewise for everything they do.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 3:40 How did Josh get started working in VR?
- 6:50 How did Kevin get started working in VR?
- 9:45 Why are you compelled by VR?
- 10:25 Why is VR such an exciting space to be working in?
- 12:20 How do you get started in VR hardware?
- 14:00 What does room scale mean in VR?
- 16:20 Are VR games made specifically for a platform?
- 17:40 Why WebVR?
- 20:10 Are there standards for VR and WebVR?
- 22:45 Dealing with input types on VR.
- 24:45 Is VR still awe inspiring?
- 28:00 What's A-Frame and how does it fit in VR?
- 29:55 What are some interesting things people are building in A-Frame?
- 33:02 Building Whack-a-Dave
- 37:00 You don't need photo-realistic models to have an authentic experience
- 39:05 Mouth-explaining Big Screen
- 40:20 How does VR get over the looking stupid problem?
- 43:50 VR is an interesting industry to work in if you're into the implications.
- 44:40 Why should a traditional web site care about VR?
- 52:20 2D vs 3D experience
- 54:30 Issues for coding for VR
- 58:20 VR and ethics
- 59:50 What's Microsoft and Apple's play in VR?
- 1:06:02 VR and AR
- 1:08:02 How do you get started into WebVR?