Another RAPID-FIRE for you this week; nothing but HOT question and answer madness.
We answered questions about sidebar layouts, Linux as a dev environment, authentication in rails apps, managing personal and business branding and social media, salaries for junior developers, automated pre-launch testing, and managing Wordpress databases. Dave also reveals his secret desire to switch to Windows for a year.
Kickstart your new year and challenge yourself to learn something new with a free 10-day trial to lynda.com!
Check out some super great courses like:
- Illustrator CC for Wireframing
- Android Studio Essential Training
- Bootstrap Layout
- Localization for Developers
- Up and Running with Android Wear
- Jeffrey Zeldman: 20 Years of Web Design and Community
- Word Press Essential Training
- Code Clinic - an innovative series where each month lynda.com issues a code challenge and authors share their solutions using a variety of different programming languages
Whether you want to set new financial goals, find work/life balance, invest in a new hobby, ask your boss for a raise, find a new job or improve upon your current job skills in 2015; lynda.com has something for everyone! Get a free 10 day trial now!
The 1st conference devoted to CSS, the design language of the web, returns for its 4th year.
Join Chris, Dave, Val Head, Jonathan Snook (and many others) this October 26-28 on The Queen Mary (yes, it's a boat!) to learn everything from techniques for everyday workflows to cutting-edge specifications landing in browser nightly builds.
You won't want to miss this experience; grab your tickets now!
Interested in sponsoring?
- 4:08 My question is about empty sidebars on long "pages" (trying to get away form using that word). Many websites have a sidebar column floated to one side of the viewport, and once you scroll past the content in the sidebar it's empty space. Is there a good fix for this?
- 10:12 It seems that in webdev land, Mac is the king, Windows is a footnote, and Linux is the redheaded step-child that nobody talks about. What do you guys think about Linux as a developer environment?
- 19:27 So I have this... uh... friend... who's building a Rails app and he, I mean she, is wondering about Authentication. Rails has this gem called Devise and there's two standard plugins that aren't enabled by default: Confirmable and Lockable. Confirmable will send email confirmation to verify accounts. This seems pretty standard right? Lockable will lock out the account after a few failed attempts. Should she enable both of those?
- 26:32 How do you guys strike a balance between your personal and business brands across all social platforms? How do you decide if a tweet should be from your personal account or business account? When do you cross promote? Do your messages change across platforms? Do you simply repeat the same post on twitter, facebook, google+, etc or do you adjust your message based on the platform?
- 38:23 What do you think about employers willing to pay $20/hour or less with junior (front-end) developers? Does salary raise any red flags?
- 42:33 Have you ever used, or know of any existing tools that use JS automation to check things on a pre-launch checklist?
- 49:44 Is there a point that WP suffers a performance hit due to a large database?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.