This week we were joined by Dee Gill. Dee transitioned her career from finance to software engineering in part via a dev bootcamp, so we talk about the many different ways to learn web development and programming.
We talked about (roughly in order):
Q & A:
- 34:00 I’ve been doing front end dev work for a little while on my own, and now I’m ready to join a team. Do you have any suggestions for me regarding the interview process?
- 37:47 What do you guys think about online learning resources like Codacademy and Treehouse?
- 45:58 Should I go to college to learn web development? What about programming bootcamps?
- 52:23 How do you keep tabs on all the things you care about and stay passionate?
- 42:30 Survey Monkey SurveyMonkey is the world’s leading online survey platform, with more than 2 million survey responses every day. SurveyMonkey has revolutionized the way people give and take feedback, making it accessible, simple and affordable for everyone. They just launched the very first SurveyMonkey app for iPhone and iPad. With the new SurveyMonkey app, you can create your poll or questionnaire on your phone and track results on-the-go. Check out the app in the iTunes app store.
- 23:31 Media Temple – For years, Media Temple’s Grid service has been the web hosting choice of more designers, developers, and creative professionals than any other platform. A single Grid account can host anything from your portfolio site to 100 different client projects. Special discount for The ShopTalk listeners, use promo code
shoptalkshowfor 25% off your first month of web hosting. Go to mediatemple.net and enter
- Dee Gill on Twitter
- Survey Monkey
- Hackbrite Academy
- Andy Bud: My Advice to Young Designers and Developers
- Lean In
- Articles about Sharon Sandberg
- Codepen Radio #7: Complexity