You asked us questions like: Can you leapfrog other people when you switch careers? Is Safari the worst browser for animations? Style guides, grid layout and how to think about it, freelancing and taking ownership of things, and of course what’s the deal with HSTS? So we answered in this RAPIDFire Q&A episode.
Q & A
- 3:05 I’ve noticed that websites on desktop (not iOS) Safari seem to be much more janky than on other browsers. Any ideas why this is?
- 14:50 Do you take less pride in your work the older you get?
- 17:07 I’ve read a lot about web style guides, reviews for animation – how do you find customers with money to support such a heavy processes?
- 22:52 I’m working on my own personal site and wanted avoid using Bootstrap’s grid to try and learn how to do a layouts myself. When do you guys use grid vs flexbox vs create your own grid system?
- 33:40 What are best practices for dealing with domain names and hosting for freelance clients? Is it best to purchase domain and hosting, and then work with the client to transfer payment, or is it best to deal with it on your own and send an invoice?
- 38:37 Have either of you guys ever set up HSTS Preloading for a domain? I’ve recently migrated a lot of client sites from HTTP to HTTPS and now they’re all rocking H2.
- 44:15 I tend to undercharge, I think because I’ve always considered myself a “bargain” developer. What can I do to change this? How much can I change and still remain competitive as a freelancer? Did you guys ever go through something like this?
- 48:25 In some of the apps it has made sense to change the view with the back button. It just seems quite intimidating. Have you tried doing this and what do you think?
- 58:10 Do you think it is possible to leapfrog a ‘junior’ (whatever that means) starting salary so that I don’t need to take a significant pay cut?
ShopTalk Show Law Declarations
- There were no laws declared on this episode of ShopTalk Show.
Media Temple offers a huge range of web hosting solutions. They have powerful and affordable plans like their Managed WordPress Hosting which is optimized specifically for WordPress sites and has WordPress-certified 24/7 support. If you need more customizability, power, and scaling ability, their DV plans are perfect. They have plans all the way up to enterprise level with incredibly powerful managed dedicated servers. They will even manage your custom Amazon Web Services setup. We suggest you check them out for your hosting needs.
Indeed Prime helps tech talent such as software developers land their dream job. Candidates get immediate exposure to the best tech companies with just one simple application. Companies on Prime’s exclusive platform message candidates with salary upfront. The average software developer gets 5 employer contacts and an average salary offer of $125,000. Indeed Prime is 100% free for candidates — no strings attached. And when you’re hired, Indeed Prime gives you a $2,000 bonus to say thanks for using Prime. Sign up now.