It’s time for a RAPIDFire Episode: Optimize for Beer 30. We blast through your questions such as using web-based push notifications, saving a stash of code to start projects, how to prep for a dev interview, printing page numbers via CSS, WordPress and jQuery, are conferences worth it, minify vs non-minified, and Bootstrap’s CSS utilities.
Q & A
- 3:03 With mobile web design on the rise, what are yall’s takes on web-based push notifications?
- 10:20 Are there things you HAVE to have (framework or things such as normalize etc) at the start of each project? Or do you reach to your own stash of code?
- 17:57 Could you please run through the types of questions and tests that come up in dev interviews?
- 24:50 I know it’s best practise for performance to do one DOM lookup per element, then save it as a variable for future reference. How would you handle this using ES6 modules?
- 30:55 What do you use for cross browser css print page numbers? It seems like each browser has their own idea, in 2016 why cant the recognize the need for printing from the web and create a standard?
- 35:09 Is there a reason why WordPress doesn’t move jQuery and jQuery migrate to the footer by default? Is there a way to do this without decoupling the included jQuery / migrate version that comes with WordPress?
- 38:07 As a newbie and freelancer should I be going to conferences regularly? Or are they more for “experts”? Concerning the costs, are conferences something that could be considered a tax write off?
- 45:00 Clearly the benefits of concatenation are huge, but is the loss of CSS line numbers really worth saving 2 KB for on an average website that is being QA’d every day? What are your thoughts?
- 50:50 Is it bad practice to use bootstrap’s or other CSS library’s ‘hidden-md’, ‘hidden-sm’ and ‘hidden-xs’ to make responsive layouts?
- Accessibility Website
- Stack Overflow: Printing page numbers on pages when printing
- Environments for Humans
- CSS Dev Conf
- An Event Apart
- CSS Tricks: Guide to Front End Conferences
- CSS Tricks: Minification and Gzipping
- Bootstrap CSS Library Responsive utilities
Unlock the full power of CodePen PRO.
- Hate your job? Check out the ShopTalk Show Job Board.