This week we were joined by Tim Murtaugh, you might know him as the guy who helped make the A List Apart website…
We talked about (roughly in order):
Q & A:
- 25:48 Why you would use GitHub over BitBucket when the private repos on BitBucket are clearly cheaper?
- 32:08 How do you prescribe handling various content styles within a given module? Things like font size, color, and bottom margins?
- 40:34 Do you think that certificates are of value when looking for a job? Is it worth finding and completing courses that ‘verify’ the assortment of web-related skills that I have?
- 45:10 I came across this website www.unfold.no and I was wondering: how did they make their website scroll infinitely around in a circle?
- 50:24 Safari Reader – how does it determine the relative content and what to display and at what article length does it kick in?
- 56:15 I saw this new bootstrap theme/framework that has dozens of pre-made components that you combine like a puzzle to create a website. This looks pretty good at first on how they present it in their video but when I started using it I was disappointed and it took away the fun of making a website. What are your thoughts about buying and editing themes
- 24:08 Breaking Development: Beyond the Desktop – two events: Nashville July 28-30, and Orlando November 3-5. Beyond the Desktop is a single track conference that looks to blend the conceptual and practical by brining you talks that will give you information you can take back to work the next day as well as new ideas that will force you to think bigger and more long term. Come and join in with other great attendees and speakers to recharge your approach and get excited about working on the web. Use discount code
shoptalkshowfor $100 off!
- 38:33 E4H: Artifact Conf May 5-7 in Austin, Texas: a two day, one-track conference with some of the greatest speakers on the web, including Dave Rupert, Jeremy Keith, Trent Walton, Brad Frost, Josh Clark, and more. Use discount code
SHOPTALKSHOWfor $100 off your ticket (group discounts available).
- Tim Murtaugh on Twitter
- Monkey Do Design & Development
- How to be an Open Source Gardener
- Battle of Brothers
- Readability Developers Guidelines
- Designmodo Startup Framework