This week we were joined by Pam Selle, a full stack developer in many languages and all around hacker from Philly. Pam works at AxisPhilly, teaches for GirlDevelopIt, and blogs at The Webivore. We talk about (roughly in order):
- 1:50 Introducing Pam Selle
- 2:45 Pam’s day job: Axis Philly
- 4:00 Girl Develop It
- 8:37 Civic Hacking Video
The Beef with Uncle Dave
- 12:58 Recruiters. What on earth do these people do for a living?
Q & A
- 15:40 Opinions about the use of :hover related to drop down menus
- 22:57 I’m new to hackathons and not super great at code, what should I expect? Can I still get anything out of it or contribute?
- 31:04 Client side templating vs server side templating: what are the differences and benefits?
- 39:17 Resets vs Normalize (and frameworks)
- 47:30 Problems with jQuery on a CDN
- 53:57 Trying to put together a standard HTML/CSS/jQuery Framework – is it OK to mix bits and pieces of different pre-existing frameworks?
- 59:15 “I fixed up my old site (which had tables) with newer code, but my site visitors still see half of the old code. Help!”
- 27:40 Cotton Bureau – Submit a T-Shirt design. If approved, and you sell at least 25 shirts, it will be printed and shipped. All the hard stuff like taking money, shipping, and returns is taken care of for you.
- 51:06 Environments for Humans – The CSS Summit is an online conference focused totally on CSS July 23-25. Three full days of training, advanced topics, and preprocessors. Coupon code SHOPTALK is good for 20% off.