We're React-ing to a discussion with 3 developers at Netflix about React. Why did Netflix choose React? We also cover the reason behind Netflix's obsession with A/B testing?
One of the frustrating things about being a developer, is dealing with errors. :cry:
- Relying on users to report errors
- Digging thru log files trying to debug issues
- Or a million alerts flooding your inbox ruining your day
Rollbar's full-stack error monitoring, gives you the context, insights and control you need to find and fix bugs faster. Rollbar works with all major languages & frameworks. It's easy to install. Start tracking errors in 8 mins.
❤ by engineers at Heroku, Twilio, Kayak, Zendesk, Twitch & more.
Go to rollbar.com/shoptalkshow and get the Bootstrap Plan free for 90 days.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 5:00 What is React and what makes it compelling for Netflix?
- 8:05 What are the conditions for ending an A/B test?
- 10:02 Are you doing component swapping or micro text swapping? And why is React good for that?
- 12:10 What's the React stew at Netflix?
- 13:10 Do you use router? Do you use Redux?
- 14:20 Should people looking to work at Netflix learn React?
- 17:00 Is the buy in for React too high to change away from it if needed?
- 18:30 Even if you could prove Svelte to be better, it'd be hard to convince Netflix to change wouldn't it?
- 20:01 What's React native?
- 21:12 Is it a split code base or is it a shared base?
- 25:15 What's the world of writing code for TV?
- 27:10 Is the markup decent?
- 29:01 What about styling?
- 33:30 Is changing a style later a headache in React?
- 36:03 Dave's issues with loading Netflix on his Xbox One
- 39:10 Is the future going to be rough for React with cheaper, smaller devices with less memory and CPU?
- 42:39 Do we need to be worrying about React Fiber?
- 48:15 Is there QA for days before you ship stuff at Netflix?
- 48:50 Who else is using React well these days?
- 50:00 Would you say that the role of a front-end developer should now include the ability to use JS frameworks?
- 55:40 What should I do for the future?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.