We’re joined by Whitney Hess, UX and empathy coach, and she helps us answer your questions about jobs, leveling up skills, finding a mentor, and becoming a freelance designer.
Q & A
- 24:00 I am looking to change careers. I just find things I like on dribble and build them on my own using sass through the command line. I understand git. Is it time to man up and apply. Is there always a feeling of I don’t know enough?
- 26:18 I don’t want to work with advertisement for the rest of my life, so I still want to build my web-development skill-set. Moreover, I like it. I want to be a web-developer. So what to you guys think I should do?
- 30:42Do you guys know of ways that older developers looking to move into a new technology can get mentoring on this new technology, besides Googling like a madman?
- 40:34 I’ve been a web designer for a while, and have always wanted to use it. Do you have any tips on becoming a Freelance Designer?
- Whitney Hess
- Whitney’s blog
- Pay What You Wish Sessions with Whitney
- Designing Yourself Podcast
- Marshall Goldsmith
- Resources and Books on Whitney Hess’ website
Bring the experts to your desktop for an all-new, two-day only online conference, the Sass Summit 2015! This Nov. 18 and 19th, deep dive into Sass sessions about web typography, attribute driven styles, games, linting, and much much more. Visit SassSummit.com to register now!
Challenge yourself to learn something new with a free 10-day trial to lynda.com!
Check out some super great courses like:
- Illustrator CC for Web Design: Wireframing
- Android Studio Essential Training
- Up and Running with Java
- Bootstrap Layouts: Responsive Single-Page Design
- Localization for Developers
- Up and Running with Android Wear
- Growth Hacking Fundamentals
Whether you want to set new financial goals, find work/life balance, invest in a new hobby, ask your boss for a raise, find a new job or improve upon your current job skills in 2015, lynda.com has something for everyone! Get a free 10 day trial now!