Nicole Dominguez joined us for a deep dive into SVG, HTML email, tables, and more.
The 2nd annual online, live Craft CMS Conference.
Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web's most notable experts in Craft for an all-new, one-day only online conference, the Craft CMS Summit 2015! Bring the experts to your desktop April 22nd from 9AM to 5PM (CT).
Craft CMS Summit is back by popular demand! Join fellow web and mobile professionals for a day of learning about this powerful CMS. Find out where things are headed in Brandon Kelly's State of Craft opening session, gain insights and learn about best practices from some of the best Craft web developers out there, and meet whole team at Pixel & Tonic in the closing Q&A Round Table.
Purchase your tickets now, and get 20% off with coupon code SHOPTALK!
The easiest way to sync Wordpress databases between local and live sites. Copy your database from one WordPress install to another with one click in your dashboard.
- Stop wasting time on migrations
- Eliminate the pain that is migrating a WordPress database
- Work less, bill the same, increasing your effective hourly rate
- No more fiddling with SQL files
Head over to the WP Migrate DB Pro website to learn more!
Interested in sponsoring?
- 23:40 The Dark Side of IO
- 26:17 U.S. Smartphone Use in 2015
- 1 in 10 Americans “do not have any other form of high-speed internet access at home beyond their phone’s data plan.”
- 30% of smartphone-dependent Americans “‘frequently’ reach the maximum amount of data [on] their cell phone plan.”
- 7:58 Nicole, you began your descent into front-end web development while working as web designer right? I'm curious what steps you took to move from from the canvas to code.
- 34:32 I have a question about finishing up a project. The site is live, the post launch checklist is done, and now it's just a matter of turning the finished files over to the client (per our contract). The site was developed using Git. How do I turn the files over without potentially damaging the ability to update the site in the future? There is always a danger of the client cowboy coding something in via FTP as well. How can I handle this?
- 38:19 I have a question about tabular data. Tables have limited styling capabilities, so sometimes you need to use <div>s instead. Is that bad practice? Can you do something to improve semantics/accessibility? Also, should you order your <div>s in rows or columns then?
- 47:46 How do you deal with assets in a Github / Jekyll set-up?
- 55:06 Lately, I've been using the CSS checkbox hack to toggle styles of HTML elements. For example, clicking a menu drop-down or clicking a help icon to display an information popup. Should I use jQuery instead or is it safe to keep these minor interactions in CSS?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.