This week it’s another RAPID-FIRE!!! Nothing but web standards southern gentlemen and hot question and answer madness!
We talked about (roughly in order):
Q & A:
- 2:37 A question about responsive images: I just came across this CSS approach to specifying a “focal point” of an image so when the browser resizes the image is cropped and it’s location is adjusted so that a specified point stays in the visible area. What do you think? Are there other similar solutions you like better?
- 5:40 I’m working on a refactor of a site I built a while ago. In that site, I’m loading a font file just for the logo which seems like it might be unneeded page bloat. My question is: is it worth the time subsetting a font for only the characters I need, or would a better approach be some sort of accessible svg?
- 11:40 I came across thegrid.io and watched their video. I love the concept, but how do you think this will effect the web design industry?
- 18:30 Is there a good replacement for css resets?
- 24:33 I’m wondering what your experiences are with hacking attempts and what methods you use to secure your sites and servers; specifically for WordPress sites?
- 38:01 I recently started to use SVGs instead of an iconfont. However I’m still struggling with the right technique. What are your thoughts on that?
- 44:11 I have a situation where people are creating and editing content in Google Docs, then pasting the content over to the CMS. Sometimes Docs behaves and doesn’t include a bunch of inline styles, sometimes it isn’t so nice. What is the best/most efficient way to override these inline styles?
- 51:56 Why isn’t there a good text editor for OS X ? I’m so tired of these multi-platform editors like Atom, Sublime, and Brackets. Are there any better options?
- 9:18 One Month iOS – One Month iOS is the easiest way to learn iOS Development using Swift. Over the course of 30 days, instructor Alfie Hanssen (Lead Mobile Engineer at Vimeo) will teach you how to build an iPhone app from scratch. The project you’ll be building is a simple photo sharing app similar to Instagram.
- The best part is… if you ever get stuck, One Month has live support! Each week during the course you’ll meet-up with your mentor for a 1-on-1 personalized session. And in addition, you have unlimited email access for any questions you have along the way.
- Enrollment is typically $899, but if you join now you’ll get a one time discount of 25% off for joining, AND as always you’re helping support Shoptalk.
- 36:05 lynda.com – The best online learning resource. New courses are posted every single day. Check out some super great courses like:
- Audio & Music Production
- Logic Pro X
- InDesign Typography with Nigel French
- Writing for the Web with Chris Nodder
- Selling on the Amazon Marketplace with Peter Kent
- And so much more! Learn all the things! Get a free 7 day trial now!
- Sublime Text
- Coda 2.5
- Seti UI Theme