This week it's another RAPID-FIRE!!! Nothing but ray guns and hot question and answer madness!
Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web's most notable experts in for an all-new, one-day only online conference, the Sass Summit 2014! Bring the experts to your desktop November 6th from 9AM to 4PM (CT).
- Join us for a day of Sass experts discussing the state of Sass and deep diving the features that make our workflow easier: from building style guides, coding complex RWD layouts, and much more.
- Use coupon code SHOPTALKSHOW for 25% off, and grab your tickets now!
For years, Media Temple has been the premium web hosting choice of more designers, developers, and creative professionals than any other platform.
- It’s all managed through their own simple, custom control panel, and backed by Media Temple’s famous 24/7 live support. Virtual Private Server solutions are also available with their DV and DV Developer hosting plans.
- Also, check out their new managed WordPress hosting which includes 3 WordPress installs with unlimited bandwidth!
- Special discount for ShopTalk listeners, use promo code SHOPTALK for 25% off your first month of web hosting. Go to mediatemple.net and enter your promo code upon signup.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 3:08 I hear a lot of people asking about mentorships so I made a site called HackMentor for people to post looking for mentors / mentees. I wanted to learn MVC so I thought it would be a fun project to get the concepts down.
- 5:03 I use Sass and Compass with Singularity and Breakpoint. I've been looking into integrating Grunt into my workflow but I'm having trouble finding a good solution to managing the Sass / Compass gems / plugins and the NPM dependencies. It feels like wonky to use bundler and npm, my project has a lot of configuration files it. Is there a better solution?
- 13:28 Just listened to episode 115 and Codekit looks like an amazing application. I have a question about using it in a Rails project. I think I recall Chris saying that he uses it when working with Rails. Can you explain the workflow for that?
- 15:20 Since the advent of tablets & smartphones I've noticed that my clients are a lot less concerned about desktop legacy issues i.e. IE. Should designers be a lot more emboldened in advising their clients to ditch IE 6-9 & get them to spend their money & your time on tablet-y smartphone-y goodness?
- 21:30 I'm having trouble with setting up Codekit to work with a Drupal Foundation 5 setup. Any advice?
- 28:36 What is a good way to implement page navigation with following requirements: no page refresh, the pages asynchronously preload, so there's not much waiting when navigating, flexibility around loading new pages (for example the new page slides in rather than suddenly replacing the current one). Is Backbone good for this stuff or do I need something more advanced?
- 36:51 I just started working from home and I'm searching for some tips about how to setup my workspace. What kind of monitor are you using for coding? Are you using multiple monitors? Are you using an extra ergonomic keyboard/mouse? Do you guys like a standing desk? What kind of chair are you using?
- 48:27 My websites are getting more and more heavy with images and animations and my bosses / clients are complaining that things are taking to long to load and is not very responsive to user interaction. What are your suggestions on how to get my page to load sections at a time or load everything while displaying a loading animation?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.