This week it's another Rapid Fire!!! Nothing but the best darn question and answer action you've ever heard!
Check out Project Parfait: it's a really nice way to extract everything you need from a PSD - in your browser!
Also, take a look at the Edge Animage CC updates: some sweet new features like copy/paste SVG art from Illustrator.
Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web's most notable experts in FrontEnd for an all-new, one-day only online conference, the FrontEnd Summit 2014! Bring the experts to your desktop August 21st from 9AM to 4PM (CT).
Lots of great talks including: Sublime, Vim Editors FTW, Fearless Browser Test Automation, The State of Grunt, and more! Get 20% off your tickets now by using coupon code “SHOPTALK”!
Interested in sponsoring?
- 3:30 Do you have any rule of thumb for deciding when to use the new element (using the picturefill polyfill) vs just using CSS background images with media queries for responsive images? Is it more a question of semantics?
- 12:15 What is translateZ traditionally used for and how can it help me with my front-end style markup?
- 24:26 I love inline-block, it's great and allows for easy simple vertical alignment. However it always adds that little bit of extras space making items wrap, e.g. a list of 4 with each set at 25%. Is there a better/cleaner way than commenting out the space? Why does it even happen?
- 31:36 I'm trying to move stackicons.com from icon font to SVG-based. Can you reference an external style sheet in the SVG file itself and use that as a single place to change styling across all the icons?
- 38:45 In jQuery, what is the difference between the .on function and the .click function?
- 44:47 I'm curious on what your thoughts are for terminology changes across an entire project. To give you some background, I work for a company that has created a web-based software. We have come across stages in our development that we want to change the terminology for functionality in our site. How would you guys go about this?
- 51:44 Regarding performance on mobile, is it better to A) have all content on page load and then show-hide it, B) inject the markup and content dynamically or C) load that markup and content using ajax, when a tablet o desktop media query matches, so secondary content can be shown to these more capable browsers.
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.