This week we were joined by Mina Markham, a Sass-lovin’ designer and developer from Dallas, Texas. She’s a Syracuse University alum, part-time freelancer, full-time Parago employee, and soon-to-be Girl Develop It teacher.
We talked about (roughly in order):
- Myth.io: “CSS Level 4 kind of stuff”
Q & A
- 17:01 I’ve just started using Compass mixins and helpers, but I’ve found that it doesn’t directly solve all of the prefix problems. Should I write my own mixins, or should I try to choose from one of the gazillion or so community mixins available?
- 22:53 Do you feel any isolation in being a black woman in the dev and coding community?
- 29:10 I’m primarily a front-end coder. I’d like to do more design work for my company. How do I convince them to take a chance on me?
- 35:23 With today’s advancements in HTML and CSS, how much of a site is image based? What parts should be displayed with images and what should be CSS3 coding?
- 41:27 I’m a front end developer that works with a team of talented back end devs. How would you hand off CSS that has been compiled by a preprocessor to a back end developer?
- 48:00 How do I trademark my personal brand?
- 39:49 InCTRL Conf 2 Day conference in Orlando, FL. Fantastic speaker line up. Use code “SHOPTALK” for $100 off!
- Mina’s Website
- Mina on Twitter
- Pink Pixels Creative
- Ladies in Tech Podcast
- Black Girls Code
- Chris’s 24 Ways Article: Grunt
- Girl Develop It