This week we were joined by Pamela Fox, a web developer and educator currently working at Khan Academy.
We talked about (roughly in order):
Q & A:
- 14:54 I’m sold on GIT and have used it locally on my machine. How can I go about deployment without paying for a service?
- 22:20 What is your preferred UI & Backend workflow when developing web apps for clients? Do you use pre-made libraries, or do you developed your own UI & backend?
- 32:07 I’m an ad copywriter looking to make the switch to front-end development. Do you have any tips on finding work that requires less formal experience?
- 37:22 I’ve recently discovered the magic behind Bootstrap. I’m on Rails 3.2 but can’t seem to figure out a good tutorial or method for importing that theme into the asset pipeline, etc. Any advice?
- 46:25 How do you guys approach mobile first and responsive design?
- 30:45 Harvest Beautiful, easy to use time track and invoicing software. Track your time, expenses, and invoice your clients. Start a free 30-day trial at GetHarvest.com.
Speakers include Rebecca Murphey, Ben Alman, Estelle Weyl, Tim Anglade, Val Head, Scott González, & many more.
Use SHOPTALK for 20% off any ticket.
- Pamela on Twitter
- Pamela’s Website
- Kahn Academy
- WP Migrate DB Pro
- Google App Engine
- Chris’s post on deployment
- React JS
- Laravel PHP Framwork
- Craft CMS
- Angular JS
- Ember JS
- “Responsive Web Design” & “Mobile First” E-books
- Chris’s CSS interview questions
- Darcy Clarke’s Front-end Job Interview Questions