This we were joined by Jessica Hische, a prolific and talented letterer (listen in to find out what that term means specifically) living in San Francisco. She's also a darn good web designer and creator of many hilarious and useful side projects. We talk about (roughly in order):
Interested in sponsoring?
- What lettering is and how it fits into the typography world.
- Moonrise Kingdom (has Jessica's lettering work in it)
- Chris is doing two big new things: CodePen and a Kickstarter.
- Southstreet - collection of fancy tools by Filament Group to help with cross-device web design
- CSS variables landing in WebKit
- PayPal's thin re-design
- Working with a small team of folks and feeling like you only do the easy stuff.
- Pricing for clients (Should I work for free?)
- Tricks for better font rendering on Windows (see this, picking a that is of high quality, webtype)
- What are the easiest letters to get started illustrating? (and a fancy word you can start with).
- How do you make colors look good on all monitors?
- Should you go through with an $80k design and development degree if you already have a job?
- How do you deal with non-paying clients?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.