Checking out a local dev site on your phone or tablet. The ebb and flow of IDE’s. Styling checkboxes. Getting penalized for images that are too big. All this and more on this RAPIDFire episode of ShopTalk Show!
Q & A
- 3:07 What is up with styling checkboxes? I had never had to do it before and it surprised me just how hard it is. Why haven’t browsers fixed this?
- 11:35 Viaduct is very similar to Heroku, but allows users to deploy their Rails applications, in addition to applications built in PHP MVC frameworks (CakePHP, Laravel, etc) – it even does WordPress sites.
- 14:28 I thought I would send you this example from some of the sass we have at work. It uses a list and a few functions to dynamically create all the helpers for an icon font.
- 16:50 Any advice for a Mac newbie on what to install on my first day, so I’m not flailing around like a lunatic for the first few hours?
- 20:34 I’ve been thinking on moving from Netbeans IDE to Sublime text, but then found only one extension (SublimeXdebug) which seems partial and rarely updated. Do you know of any other alternative for PHP debugging on Sublime text?
- 29:25 A new Israeli law requires all websites to be accessible (at AA level). The law states that “Website administrators who fail to comply could face fines of up to 50,000 shekels (~14,000$)”. I was wondering if similar accessibility laws exist in the U.S. or other western countries?
- 42:00 I am getting a low score on GTmetrix for serving larger images than the boxes they are intended for on my website, all of that because I’m trying to think about users with large resolution screens. These online tests such as gtmetrix or even Google Page Speed test are making me give users worse experience.
- 49:30 How do you go about doing local development using MAMP and testing responsive sites on your local machine from other devices (phones / tablets) in your local area network?
- 54:45 I keep stumbling on a lot of other web servers like Puma and Unicorn and was wondering if these were worth looking into?
- Sass Example of creating helpers for an icon font
- Image Alpha
- Image editing with Preview
- Netbeans IDE
- Sublime Text
- Sublime TextXDebug
- List of Web Accessible Related Litigation
- Forbes: Does Your Website Violate the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- Google Pagespeed
- Adobe Edge Animate
Live collaboration on code. Multiple people can type and edit code in a Pen at the same time, all while still seeing the live preview. There is a chat area too, all for the best in long distance pair programming!
Every character you type, every line you select, and every setting you change happens immediately on all of your collaborators screens. And likewise for everything they do.