It's a RAPIDFire episode - Chris and Dave answer your questions as quickly as they can before the gun goes off. Too many tools, comp sci vs programming, vertical rythym, version controlling WordPress, self-employment, div-itis, and mobile email client performance issues are just some (ok all) of the topics covered.
The Web is now the dominant channel for commerce. Cloud technology has shifted IT from the back office to the front of business innovation. And the world has gone mobile. In today's world, every business relies on software to achieve its goals. That's why Velocity is the single, most important, must-attend conference for engineers, developers, sysadmins, DevOps teams, and other IT workers. It's where they learn the crucial skills and best practices needed in today's world to build sites, apps, and services that are fast, scalable, resilient, and highly available.
At Velocity you'll hear from some of the best minds in the field, like Bridget Kromhout, Katherine Daniels, and Ilya Grigorik on topics like container orchestration, DevOps, and performance.
Register before May 12 and get early pricing. Use discount code ST25 to get an additional 25% off.
Interested in sponsoring?
- 1:42 What has perplexed me though are the tools out there like Bower, Grunt, Gulp, Yeoman, Browserify. Can you give me a generalization as to where I would put these in my workflow and their purpose?
- 11:08 What are the differences between computer science and programming, and is it important to learn traditional computer science to do web app development?
- 14:50 Have you ever paid attention to vertical rhythm and modular scales when setting type sizes, line height and positioning in your web layouts?
- 22:30 But I'm wondering everybody's method for using git to version control WordPress. Do you prefer to only version control the theme? Entire WP install? Any tips?
- 29:00 What's your advice for any Front-End Developer before becoming self-employed and what was your greatest hurdle becoming a self-employed developer?
- 33:40 What approach would you take if you wanted to vertically center text on top of a responsive full-width hero image?
- 39:10 My question concerns working remotely, specifically some of the challenges faced i.e. should I use a recruiter, contract work, job boards to watch for such work.
- 43:10 I've just started to learn web development, and have a question about the proper use of div tags in an HTML file. Is there such a thing as using too many divs?
- 48:40 Is there a script or server-side tool that I can use to prevent certain desktop-only assets from being downloaded to mobile clients when at lead-time?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.