Andy Budd is a User Experience Designer and partner at Clear Left in Brighton, England.
He joins us to talk progressive enhancement, Safari #hotdrama, Dave’s new web app, and more.
We talked about (roughly in order):
- 11:12 Safari is the new IE
- 24:07 Progressive Enhancement: Thriving in Unpredictability by Tim Kadlec
Q & A:
- 47:57 I am the team leader for the front-end team. I have some great developers that work with me, but sometimes I have a hard time conveying the fact that sometimes we have to do stuff on our websites that we don’t like to please the client. For example, the classic example where a client that wants to make sure everything works in IE9. How can I help my developers understand that we have to slowly educate the client, but in the end the client writes the check?
- 56:27 I have two questions for you. I was recently let go from an enterprise-level company and was not given a reason why. It took me by surprise and I’ve not been able to get an explanation despite asking multiple times and from different people in the organization. I’m having trouble finding the words to explain why I was let go to potential employers. Any advice as to what to say in interviews when the question comes up? My other question is addressing something that a recent potential employer called out. They said they normally wouldn’t consider me because I’ve not been with a job for more than about a year and that that’s a “red flag”. Is this a “red flag” with a lot of employers? Should I address this and if so, how?
- 30:40 E4H: CSS Summit – Now you can attend one of the best CSS and Sass events no matter where you are in the world!
Bringing the experts to your desktop, the CSS Summit is the online conference that improves your workflow while inspiring your work.
Virtual conference, The CSS Summit, returns for three days — July 7-9 — with speakers from the Sass team, Adobe, Google, IBM, Sparkbox, talking about CSS (of course), but also designing with SVG, utilizing Sass, Angular, and much more.
Get 20% off with code SHOPTALKSHOW for 1, 2 or all 3 days of the CSS Summit.
One Month is an online school with a simple premise:
What if you could learn anything in One Month?
One Month students learn to code by building real websites and apps, growth hacking their businesses and websites, and building payment systems and security solutions.
Students can start without any prior experience, in just 15 minutes a day, for 30 days, all online.
One Month’s courses are the easiest way to learn new tech skills including:
- Ruby on Rails
- HTML & CSS
- iOS Development with Swift
- Content Marketing
- Growth Hacking
- and More!
What if you could change your life in one month?
Enroll now for 25% OFF your first month!
- Andy Budd
- Follow Andy on Twitter
- Jeremy Keith
- dConstruct Conf
- Adaptive Web Design Book
Looking for a job? Check out the Shoptalk Job Board!
Do you think Shoptalk is the best podcast on the internet? Leave us a review in iTunes, it helps other people find us! Five stars, please and thank you!
Also, you might like Chris’ other podcast, CodePen Radio. Dave thinks it’s better than the Startup Podcast.