We talked about (roughly in order):
- 10:54 The web isn’t ready for 60fps
Q & A:
- 19:25 When do you decide to go for a self-made theme or to hunt for a paid theme that comes close to what your customer wants?
- 25:04 I often read about “prototyping” using bootstrap, foundation, etc. Does this mean building a prototype site (with minimum design and code) and after some kind of approval step, then begin building the real project with new code? Is this a regular practice?
- 38:35 I’ve been freelancing for about 4 years, and my skills don’t seem to be improving as fast as I’d like. Should I continue to freelance or would it make more sense to look for employment in a design firm?
- 42:45 At the top of every article page there is an image tag which takes up the full width of the screen. In my CSS I have set width and height to ‘auto’ to preserve its aspect ratio and max-width set to 100%. However when the page loads there is an instantaneous flash where the image element has zero height and the content after it in the flow is at the top of the page, that content is then pushed down when the image loads and the browser knows its dimensions. How do I fix this?
- 49:40 When nudging an element by a few pixels should I be using ‘position: relative’ or margins?
- 50:34 I’ve recently been trying to improve the performance on sites I build. I noticed in the chrome developer tools it says I’m loading CSS that’s not needed. Should I be making multiple minified CSS files and conditionally loading them?
- 29:32 E4H: Responsive Web Design Summit – Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web’s most notable experts in responsive web design and web performance for an all-new, three-day online conference, the RWD Summit 2015! Bring the experts to your desktop March 10-March 12, 2015 from 9AM to 4PM (CT)
Want to level up your responsive web design skills? This is a great way to start! Use coupon code SHOPTALK for 20% off your ticket!
- 46:47 lynda.com – Kickstart your new year and challenge yourself to learn something new with a free 10-day trial to lynda.com!
Check out some super great courses like:
- Jeffrey Zeldman: 20 Years of Web Design and Community
- Word Press Essential Training
- Code Clinic – an innovative series where each month lynda.com issues a code challenge and authors share their solutions using a variety of different programming languages
Whether you want to set new financial goals, find work/life balance, invest in a new hobby, ask your boss for a raise, find a new job or improve upon your current job skills in 2015; lynda.com has something for everyone! Get a free 10 day trial now!
- Yesenia Perez-Cruz
- Follow Yesenia on Twitter
- A List Apart Hangout: Designing for Performance (Feb 26, 2015 – 1PM EST)
- 60fps on the Mobile Web
- Flipboard – React Canvas Accessibility
- Tim Kadlec: Access Optional
- Keynote Animations
- Startup Podcast
- Reply All Podcast
- jQuery UI
- Uncle Dave’s Old Padded Box
If you’re looking for a job, head over to the Shoptalk Job Board.
If you’re enjoying our show, please take a minute to leave us a review in iTunes. We really appreciate all the kind words.