Mark Otto is the creator of of Bootstrap. He currently designs at GitHub, and previously worked at Twitter.
Mark shared the origin story of Bootstrap and why there are so many websites made with it. We also discussed some of the other frameworks, Flexbox, and more.
Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web's most notable experts in responsive web design and web performance for an all-new, three-day online conference, the RWD Summit 2015! Bring the experts to your desktop March 10-March 12, 2015 from 9AM to 4PM (CT)
Use coupon code SHOPTALK for 20% off your ticket!
InVision is the fastest, most intuitive way to bring your design vision to life in beautiful prototypes—without a single line of code. So it’s easy to present designs, gather feedback, and user test, all on one platform. And right now, you can get 3 months of our Start plan absolutely free.
Get 3 free months of InVision Starter so you can prototype, collaborate, and iterate on up to 3 projects. Did we say it’s free? It’s free! Get started: invisionapp.com/signup/shoptalk
Interested in sponsoring?
- 32:33 I am using Angular JS to build a web site and am looking for good libraries to "pretty it up". Would you recommend Bootstrap, Angular UI, JQuery UI, or is there something else I should be looking at?
- 38:20 Any plans of adding Flexbox to Bootstrap?
- 42:59 There is no debate that the table element and its children in HTML are not appropriate for layout design for many reasons, the most significant being semantics. However, has the jury decided the merits of using display: table, table-cell, etc. in CSS to provide layout for HTML elements?
- 46:29 Are there any ways to reduce the size of jQuery?
- 54:40 I'm building a gallery webpage with sorting. I’m going to have a lot of images (thousands) and I obviously don't want it to take forever to load. What is the best way to design this that will run efficiently? Ajax?
- 57:42 Is there a reason that Google Fonts use HTTP rather than HTTPS?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.