Wren Lanier leads design and UX at Highrise.
In this episode, we discuss designing on the Z axis, disruption in the web design industry, responsive design for giant screens, next steps for a junior designer looking to level-up, and more!
Environments for Humans brings together some of the Web's most notable experts in responsive web design and web performance for an all-new, three-day online conference, the RWD Summit 2015! Bring the experts to your desktop March 10-March 12, 2015 from 9AM to 4PM (CT).
Use coupon code SHOPTALK for 20% off your ticket!
One Month iOS is the easiest way to learn iOS Development using Swift. Over the course of 30 days, instructor Alfie Hanssen (Lead Mobile Engineer at Vimeo) will teach you how to build an iPhone app from scratch.
The best part is… if you ever get stuck, One Month has live support! Each week during the course you’ll have access to a live mentor for a 1-on-1 personalized session. And in addition, you have unlimited email access for any questions you have along the way.
Enrollment is typically $499 (includes a live, one-on-one tutor), but if you join now you’ll get a one time discount of 25%, AND as always you’re helping support Shoptalk.
Enroll now @ onemonth.com/shoptalkios!
Interested in sponsoring?
- 19:38 Shoptalkshow.com redesign! Fresh! Exciting! It'll change your life!
- 29:29 io.js reached 1.0
- 30:56 I have noticed that the :visited selector seems to have fallen in usage over the last few years. Do you think styling :visited links is better or worse for accessibility?
- 37:00 I am in the process of building a mobile first e-commerce website. At the moment my layout cover screens up to 1600px wide with information, for instance when I display the catalogue, a grid three products wide covers most of the screen. Is this too wide, how wide is too wide, what are your thoughts on responsive web design for larger screens?
- 42:25 My question is about billing. I do freelance web development and I'm starting to gain quite a few clients and recurring billing is becoming more important. In the past I've used a google doc template but feel it looks unprofessional and I'd like to use a software that stores my clients information. What are your suggestions?
- 46:57 I wanted to ask about how you guys started in the trade and is there any significant steps (tutorials, languages, workflow improvements) that you would recommend?
- 51:17 When I specify a text size in CSS, it appears in different sizes on iOS devices (iPhones & iPads). It even appears in different sizes on the same device depending on whether it's rotated into portrait or landscape view. Please explain the rules used by iOS devices to shrink or enlarge text. Does "retina" resolution play into this?
- 55:08 I am a front-end developer and have been doing contract work for 2 years. I believe I am ready to apply for a full time in-house dev job. I updated my resume and started looking at job listings. I have noticed listings for UI/UX developers / UI/UX designers and Junior Front-End Developers. What are these jobs like? What is a junior developer salary like? What kind of tools are required for these jobs?
Check out all jobs over on the Job Board. If you'd like to post a job, you can do that here, and have it mentioned on ShopTalk for a small additional charge.