This week we were joined by Nicolas Gallagher, CSS expert. We talked about (roughly in order):
Q & A:
- 13:40I want an automated way to produce styles guides. How do you produce guides for your clients? Have you been able to automate the process?
- 18:23 Any insight into IE downloading inapplicable stylesheets?
- 35:23 I’m a huge fan of inline blocks. Is there any other reason why the whole world is using floats?
- 41:10 I want to create a blog for myself, to document and share what I learn. Is it crazy NOT to use a CMS?
- 49:23 I’m applying for a dev job with a company and they use LESS. What are the key things I need to bare in mind when changing from Sass to LESS?
- 33:55 lynda.com
- Over 2,000 courses, with new courses added daily
- One low monthly price of $25/month provides access to the entire course library
- Over 2 million active members, and over 500k fans on facebook
- HTML/CSS/JS – WordPress/Joomla – UX – Adobe – Objective-C/PHP – Photography/Time Management/Negotiation
- Searchable transcripts / Playlists / Bookmarks
- 47:24 Enviornments for Humans – Artifact Conf November 4–6 in Providence, RI. A fantastic 2 day, single track conference about front end. The theme is “Multi-Device World”. Some great workshops:
- Build Responsively by Ben Callahan
- Sass for Beginners by Matt Griffen
- CSS Animation by Val Head
- Responsive Designer Patterns by Brad Frost
- Use the discount code “SHOPTALK” for $100 off your ticket.
- Nicolas’ Website
- Nicolas on Twitter
- KSS Ruby Gem
- Brad Frost’s Pattern Lab
- “Mobile first” CSS and getting Sass to help with legacy IE
- Testing for Asynchronous Load of Inapplicable CSS StyleSheets (github)
- Centering in the Unknown – CSS Tricks Article
- Dave Rupert – “A Brander Newer Blog”
- Jekyll – A Static Site Generator